Would you suggest them? What are some good brands if you do?
I’ve been lacking a bit of variety in my workouts lately so I would love to hear what you normally do when you go to the gym! :) Feel free to leave it as an ask or in a reply!
Forward leg lift
This move, a variation on the ballet battement, tones quadriceps (front of the upper leg) and adductors, which make up the inner thigh area and are one of the weakest muscle groups in a woman’s body. The forward leg lift creates muscles that are toned and lengthened, not big and bulky.
Start position: Stand with your back against the ballet barre or chair, stairway bannister, kitchen counter — basically anywhere you can find balance.
Movement: Extend one leg and lift and lower in a challenging range of motion, toes pointed, 20 times. Flex the foot and do 20 more reps. Switch to the opposite leg and repeat.
Reverse leg lift (also known as ballet arabesque)
The reverse leg lift uses the same principle as the forward leg lift, but works the glutes and hamstrings (the back of the upper leg). While doing this exercise, you should feel a contraction in the entire back of the leg, from the glute to the ankle.
Start position: Stand next to the ballet barre, chair or other point of balance, holding lightly with your right hand.
Movement: Bend your left knee slightly and raise the right leg in a challenging range of motion, toes pointed, 20 times. Flex the foot, and do 20 more reps. Switch sides and repeat with the left leg.
Ballet first position (also called plié)
The plié is arguably the most famous ballet position for a reason: it’s a fantastic workout for the entire leg, targeting the quadriceps, hamstrings and glute muscles.
Start position: Squat, heels lifted and touching, knees spread to create a diamond shape between your heels and your pelvis.
Movement: Lift up and down one inch, never moving your rear below your knees. Repeat 20 times. Break for a moment and repeat.
Note: Those with knee sensitivity should opt out of first position and proceed to second position.
Ballet second position (also a plié)
This variation on the plié is a very effective total leg workout. Make sure your heels are lifted (ballet term: relevé) the entire time to feel the full effect.
Start position: Squat with knees facing out, facing your barre or point of balance. Lift your heels and adjust your position until you feel that your leg muscles are fully engaged.
Movement: Hold the position for 60 seconds; or lift yourself up one inch, down one inch, never moving your rear below your knees. Repeat 20 times. Break for a moment and repeat.
Hamstring press (called a ballet attitude position)
This move is excellent for toning and strengthening the back of the thighs (hamstrings).
Start position: Stand with arms lifted in front of you, one knee slightly bent and the other leg behind you at a 90 degree angle.
Movement: With your toes pointed, lower the leg so that your toe touches the floor, then come back to the 90 degree angle. Repeat 20 times. Break momentarily and repeat 20 more times, with your foot flexed. Then repeat on the opposite leg.
After contracting the thigh muscles with the above exercises, it’s important to give yourself a great stretch to lengthen the muscle. This position stretches out the back of the leg and thigh and is a perfect way to end a rigorous workout.
Stretch: With your right leg at a 90 degree angle and right foot firmly planted, extend the left leg behind you, being sure to keep your left heel lifted. Fold your arms into a prayer position and hold. Repeat on the opposite leg.
It could be…
- a person
- a specific goal
- a trip
- a reward
You get the picture… I’m interested in hearing what keeps everyone going!
Make yourself known! Like, reblog, or comment on this post and there’s a good chance I’ll follow you. :)
- Chest and Back/Ab Ripper X
- Legs and Back
- Yoga X
- Cardio X
- Kenpo X
- Shoulders and Arms
- Core Synergetics
- Stretch X
- Chest, Shoulder, and Triceps
- Back and Biceps
- Fit Test
- Plyometric Cardio Circuit
- Cardio Power & Resistance
- Cardio Recovery
- Pure Cardio
- Cardio Abs
- Core Cardio & Balance
- Max Interval Circuit
- Max Interval Plyo
- Max Cardio Conditioning
- Max Recovery
- Insane Abs
- Max Interval Sports Training
- Upper Body Weight Training
- Learn & burn
- Cardio Party Mix 1
- Cardio Party Mix 2
- Cardio Party Mix 3
- Kickin Core
- 20 minute workout
- T3 - Totally Tubular Turbo
Hip hop abs:
Tone It Up:
- Flat Abs Challenge
- 3 Minute Ab Challenge
- Slimming Inner Thighs & Calves
- Inner Thigh Insanity
- Saddlebag Shaver
- Standing Pilates for Legs, Butt & Obliques
- Butt Blaster
Cardio & High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
- Tone It Up Beach BABE video
- BodyRock.tv Hot Body Workout video
- BodyRock.tv 4 Minute Workout video
- BodyRock.tv Hardest Workout Ever video
- BodyRock.tvHard Bodies Getting Harder Workout
- BodyRock.tv 6 Minute Workout video
- BodyRock.tv Run The World Workout video
- BodyRock.tv Hot Attack video
All Over Body Toning
- Tone It Up Arms, Abs, and Legs Pyramid video
- Tone It Up Bikini Abs & Thighs video (with yoga ball)
- Tone It Up Sandcastle Workout video
- Tone It Up Bikini Body Workout with Self Magazine!
- Tone It Up Bikini Blast Circuit Workout video
- Tone It Up Bikini Body Workout with Self Magazine!
- Pop Pilates Till The World Ends video
- Pop Pilates Summer Slimdown Part 1 & Part 2
- Bodyrock.tv I’m Into You Workout video
- skinnyyogagirl’s 1000 Rep Workout
- skinnyyogagirl’s Full Body Cardio & Strength Workout
- skinnyyogagirl’s Burning Body Workout
- Pop Pilates Flat Abs Challenge video
- Pop Pilates 3 Minute Ab Challenge video
- Tone It Up Tighten & Tone Your Abs video
- Tone It Up Itty Bitty Bikini video
Legs & Butt
- Pop Pilates Slimming Inner Thighs & Calves video
- Pop Pilates Inner Thigh Insanity video
- Pop Pilates Saddlebag Shaver video
- Pop Pilates Standing Pilates for Legs, Butt & Obliques video
- Pop Pilates Butt Blaster video
- Tone It Up Bikini Beach Bum video
- BodyRock.tv Abs Now Workout video (I know it says abs but it works the thighs more)
- BodyRock.tv 300 Squats Challenge
- skinnyyogagirl’s Legs & Butt Workout
- Dashama Sun Salutations video
- Dashama Sun Salutations 2 video
- Dashama Hip Stretches
- Tara Stiles Bend It Like Tara video (my favorite stretching video)
- sadienardini 40 minute yoga weight loss videos Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4
- exercisetv.tv Yoga Fitness Plus 45 minute video
- exercisetv.tv Beginner Yoga 20 minute video
- exercisetv.tv Yoga Sculpt 30 minute video
- exercisetv.tv Yoga Fitness Fusion 45 minute video
- Yogis Anonymous Hurts So Good Power Yoga 95 minute video
- Yogis Anonymous Blissed Flow Yoga 90 minute (love love love this one!)
- Post Running Stretch video from FlexibleWarriorYoga
The Biggest Loser:
- Biggest Loser 30 Day Jump Start Workout
- Biggest Loser Cardio Max Workout
- Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga
- Biggest Loser Boot Camp Workout
- 10 Minute Jump Start Cardio Workout!
- 10 Minute Cardio Kickboxing Workout!
- 10 Minute Jump Rope Cardio Workout!
- 15 Minute Abs Workout!
BodyRock Cardio Workout:
Ab exercises for fall and winter! (Click the exercise title to see a video on how it’s done!)
This BOSU Russian twist will work your arms, back, and abs (especially the obliques). The BOSU ball creates instability, and the weighted medicine ball challenges your muscles to work harder. If you don’t have access to a BOSU, try this seated Russian twist instead.